Monday, October 16, 2006

Try being a little more sensitive - The Diabetes Blog

Try being a little more sensitive - The Diabetes Blog:

It looks like I have to do more research on citrus flavones and their effect on insulin resistance. The evidence for the benefits of Resveratrol is becoming quite solid, but credible references for citrus flavone research would be appreciated.

"I grabbed a copy of Life Extension magazine. I'm always a bit suspicious of anything that retail stores give away for free, so I admittedly paid little attention to it at first. But, after perusing through its 110-plus pages, I have to say that I was quite impressed with some of the information contained therein. In particular, I found a small piece on Citrus Peel Extract, and its supposed relationship to insulin sensitivity, to be rather interesting.

Based on what was stated in this article, it appears as though citrus peel extract has for some time been used to improve cholesterol levels. However, a recent study involving some fancy scientists, a few hamsters, and a sugar-rich diet to induce insulin resistance and elevated triglycerides led to the discovery that impaired insulin sensitivity could be reversed by supplementing with citrus flavones.

While this is great news (for humans and hamsters), you may want to consult with your doctor first before taking this or any supplement."

No comments: